Saturday, June 9, 2007

A different kind of Shabbat Hike

My usual Shabbat hike is adults only, in the afternoon. But periodically, Rabbi K leads a kid's hike in the morning. Today was such a day so since Jeremy was off racing, it seemed like a good way to get my walk in. First, I had to push the boys in the stroller up to Chautauqua. That's about two miles and we had some time to play at the park. Then came time for the hike. We "hiked" all the way up to the Bluebell Shelter, about .7 miles at the end of the fire road. Oh. My. Gosh. Such complaining has never been heard. You would have thought I had asked the boys to climb Mt. Everest. We saw Paul and Sam (Ted was at Tae Kwon Do) but Sam was riding on Paul's back and thus moving considerably faster.

We did make it to the Shelter and had a little Shabbat Service:



The Rabbi telling a story.



And then we hiked down, which went much faster because it was all down hill. I don't think the boys appreciated the scenery:



And after the hike, they were both starving and since I didn't pack a lunch we stopped at the dining hall where they ate over-priced Mac & Cheese. Jeremy got back from his race and picked the boys and the stroller up so I didn't have to fight against 65 lbs of potential energy that wanted to zoom down the long hill.

Mileage: 121 miles, 308 to go
Pledges: $165

No comments: