Saturday, August 4, 2007

And then the vultures started circling...

Seriously. Buzzards in Boulder? I don't think they were coming for us, we saw them at mile 7 and weren't quite as pathetic as we would be at mile 22.



Oh yes, I did say mile 22. We took accidental detoured to Whole Foods and Ellen suggested that we backtrack to the trail. That added 2 miles to our 20 mile walk. Ouch.

So to start at the beginning, we left my house around 6:15am. We headed over to Safeway/Starbucks where I had my first regular coffee. I did not put enough sugar in it. Then we walked to the East Boulder Rec Center and then along the trail to the Boulder Creek Path. Then to Whole Foods (where I had a pancaked and two eggs and a cookie and Ellen had a cookie), and back to the Path. We were also on the Wonderland Creek Greenway before cutting through North Boulder and coming out at Wonderland lake on Broadway. We took Broadway to Breadworks where I was feeling so crappy that I couldn't eat. And then onto Pearl Street and the Farmer's Market where I got a fresh squeezed lemonade. And to get home, we took the Creek path to the Bear Creek path. I based today's route on the Boulder B-360 bike ride.

And here's a picture of the Creek path with it's welcome shade. Today was hot and sticky. And long.



We didn't get home until 2:30, meaning we were out 8 hours. We probably had a total of 90 minutes of breaks which means our pace was close to the 3.5/hour that I shoot for. So good job, Ellen, and sorry for doubting you :)

And, oh yeah, somewhere near East Campus, I saw my dad and Dave ride by. By they time I noticed who they were and yelled, "Dad!" at the top of my lungs, they were gone.

Mileage: 356 miles, 73 to go
Pledges: $700

No comments: