Monday, June 25, 2007

Definitely the hard way to do 14 miles

I'm not sure I have enough energy to write more about the longest 14 mile walk(s) ever, but I'll try.

Technically, the day began in Winter Park, where Ellen and I were still chatting at midnight. I hadn't slept well the night before, so Ellen gave me half of a sleeping pill. That did help, except for when a scratchy animal noise woke me up and it looked like the room was melting. Ellen did warn me that hallucinations were a side effect...

We left Winter Park around 10:30. I made the mistake of knitting in the back seat, which lead to my first real case of motion sickness. After Berthod Pass, we stopped for Starbucks (Ellen didn't know how sick I really was until I turned down coffee) and I bought some very overpriced dramamine and coke, which did the trick.

As Ellen said, we starting walking from my house around 1:15, stopping for a bagel sandwhich lunch. I mapped our route, it turned out to be closer to 6 1/2 miles.

My kids returned from their weekend with Grammie at 3:30, we threw their bikes in the car and went back to Ellen's house. We did the Wahoo's loop for the first time, which was surprisingly nice. I had no idea a trail went around the mall area so much. That was all good until Ted and Mae got hurt (in separate incidents). Ellen says that this walk is just short of 4 miles, but I haven't mapped it.

After that, I drove the boys back home, threw them at Jeremy and took off for the rest of my walk. I did my extended campus loop which takes me all the way to varsity pond. That is about 4.5 miles, so it looks like I went a tad over my 14 mile goal.

The hardest part of today was that we did 3 separate walks, any which would be a fine training walk on their own. That, and with my weekend away my house is a wreck and I have tons of chores to do.

Mileage: 184 miles, 245 to go
Pledges: $165

No comments: